Whether you're ordering complete keto diet prepared meals or want to incorporate the best diet programme advice into your cooking, knowing what you can and can't eat is pretty essential!
Any keto diet plan comes with a fair few restrictions, although millions of people have found that a ketogenic diet is a fast track to better overall health.
Today the Best10 team explains the benchmark rules of a keto diet and what you'll find in your keto diet prepared meals if you're opting for a meal delivery plan.
What to Eat on Complete Keto Diet Plans?
A ketogenic diet, in essence, requires you to eat very low carbs, increasing your intake of proteins and healthy fats.
The idea is that you replace carbs (think bread, potatoes, fruits, pasta) with fats, which pushes your metabolism in ketosis - a process that means you start torching fat for energy.
Ketones are produced from fat in the liver, which is thought to improve your cognitive functions and helps provide greater energy levels in your brain.
Although many of the best diet programmes with a large following are controversial, research also shows that a keto diet plan can reduce blood sugar and insulin levels.
So - let's get back to our question of what to eat on keto diet plans!
Different Types of Keto Diet
Before we get into the food lists, it's essential to recognise that there are several ways to adopt a ketogenic lifestyle.
Much depends on your activity levels, lifestyle, and weight loss goals.
- A standard keto diet looks at breaking your macros into about 10% carbs, with 20% protein and a huge 70% fat.
- Cyclical keto means you have a 'refeed' when you revert to a higher carbohydrate intake, usually for two days of every seven.
- Target keto diets are scheduled around workouts, optimising carbs for endurance activities but boosting protein for muscle recovery.
- High protection complete keto diets work the same as the standard diet but have a higher protein intake of around 35%, with only 5% carbs and 60% fats.
Most keto beginners will go for a standard diet, but it's wise to remember that you can cycle this or juggle the macros, as you need to maintain a great balance that feels optimal for your body.
Which Foods Are Banned on a Keto Diet?
We use the word 'banned' in the loosest sense because here at Best10, we recognise that any successful diet requires a little moderation - and you don't need to abandon all hope if you end up sneaking in an apple or two!
However, if you're aiming for ketosis, looking for keto banned food list then you need to avoid all high carb foods, including some that might not be immediately obvious:
- Anything high in starch - fizzy drinks, sweets, cakes, ice cream and fruit smoothies.
- Grains - anything made of wheat (bread, rice, pasta and cereals).
- Fruit - keto is one of few diets that eliminate fruits, although you can have a few berries from time to time.
- Beans and legumes - lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans and peas.
- Root veggies - no potatoes (including sweet potatoes) or things like carrots.
- Low-fat products - diet products are banned, such as mayo, salad dressing etc.
- Most sauces - mustard, ketchup, and BBQ sauce are all out.
- Unhealthy fats - although you'll need to eat a rich, fatty diet, this excludes 'bad' fats such as processed oils.
- Alcohol - all of it.
What Can I Eat on a Keto Diet?
Perhaps more importantly, let's look at what you can eat - and if you're a fan of steak and eggs for breakfast, you're in luck!
Keto advocates for high fats and high protein, so it's an open range on full-fat dairy products, meat and eggs.
Examples of keto-friendly foods include:
- Nearly all meats - any red meat, steak, ham, bacon, chicken or turkey, including sausages, but they should be 100% meat and grain-free!
- Fatty fish - salmon, trout, mackerel and tuna.
- Dairy products - heavy creams and grass-fed butter.
- Cheese - anything unprocessed, including cheddar, goats cheese, cream cheese and blue cheeses.
- Nuts and seeds - pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, almonds etc.
- Healthy oils - avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil.
- Veggies with low carbs - green veg, tomatoes, pepper and onions.
- Condiments - basics like herbs, spices, salt and pepper are all fine.
The key to a keto diet working is that you focus on unprocessed foods made from one ingredient.
For example, a steak seasoned with salt and pepper, some steamed green veggies, and a side of eggs is perfect since you aren't mixing food items or eating anything processed.
Not to worry if you're stumped for ideas, we've included an example of some complete keto-friendly meal ideas below!
Keto-Friendly Meal Ideas and Recipes
Many people undertaking a complete keto meal delivery kits or prepped food.
This option takes all the time and stresses out of re-reading your keto diet guide repeatedly or accidentally reducing your potential to reach ketosis by including some excluded ingredients, keto banned food list!
However, you can cook a huge range of keto meals with very little bother.
Keto Breakfast Ideas
- Muffins made from veggies and eggs with a side of tomatoes.
- Omelettes - add basil, eggs, tomato and spinach.
- Chia pudding - use oat milk and top with a few blueberries or coconut.
- Spicy omelettes with salsa, avocados, spices and onions.
- Greek yoghurt with peanut butter and berries.
Keto Lunch Ideas
- Chicken salad - add olive oil dressing, feta cheese and olives.
- Keto smoothies - try almond milk with peanut butter, spinach and cocoa powder.
- Beef lettuce wrap tacos with sliced peppers and salsa dressing.
- Chicken and broccoli - add some courgette noodles!
Keto Dinner Ideas
- White fish, grilled in olive oil with toasted nuts and kale.
- Beef Bolognese made with butternut squash spaghetti.
- Chicken stuffed with cream cheese and pesto, with grilled courgette.
- Pork chops seasoned with parmesan cheese.
- Salmon with asparagus, grilled in grass-fed butter.
- If you're inspired to try complete keto, please check out the Best10 reviews to find the best meal delivery services, nutrition plans and diet plans online to help you get to grips with all the dos and don'ts and start your keto journey the best possible way!